Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: Ideas For Gasket Material .....

  1. #11
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Ideas For Gasket Material .....

    Yeah, now that I think about it........ I guess I've reached the point where it only seems like yesterday, but the few scraps I've still got in the attic came out of my step mom's house circa '75 and I spec'd the thickest jute for our first home we had built in late '69 because we couldn't justify the cost of any of the high end padding or carpeting, but wanted to get their plush feel with inexpensive carpeting.

    Anyway, apparently they haven't figured a way to make it cheaper over the ensuing decades. Going strictly from memory, this specs 'close enough', so not an option for most of us unless scraps from a big commercial project can be found: Felt Sheet, Poly, 1/4 In T, 72 x 60 In - Felt Sheets and Strips - Felt - Raw Materials : Grainger Industrial Supply

    While writing this though, my eyes settled on a roll of 'Easy Liner' shelf liner I got for a stillborn project, but on close inspection it looks like it might be a great gasket material: Solid Easy Liner? non adhesive shelf liner from Duck? brand

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  2. #12
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Ideas For Gasket Material .....

    Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    I would also fully agree with GM, that depending on the climate involved, felt may be less than ideal.
    Are you saying that the felt is hydroscopic? I wouldn't think felt would have any mositure issues unless it actually got wet, but my expereince with it is very limited.

    Also, real wool felt can harbor tiny vermin like moth larvae. I use felt because i work with it in the piano/organ trade and it's readily available to me as well as inexpensive, moisture/dampness is seldom a worry here in the great white northeast and i store it in a sealed cabinet treated periodically with para-dichlorobenzene which keeps the critters away.
    Gross...... now I wonder about my old Hudson Bay blankets..... one of them has obvious holes in it. I tried a cheap vacuum bag from Harbor Freight, but it lost its vacuum, and then my kittens decided the bag would be fun to shred.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  3. #13
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Ideas For Gasket Material .....

    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Anyway, apparently they haven't figured a way to make it cheaper over the ensuing decades. Going strictly from memory, this specs 'close enough', so not an option for most of us unless scraps from a big commercial project can be found: Felt Sheet, Poly, 1/4 In T, 72 x 60 In - Felt Sheets and Strips - Felt - Raw Materials : Grainger Industrial Supply
    Yikes, that's expensive.

    While writing this though, my eyes settled on a roll of 'Easy Liner' shelf liner I got for a stillborn project, but on close inspection it looks like it might be a great gasket material: Solid Easy Liner? non adhesive shelf liner from Duck? brand
    The thing I don't like about modern plastics/foams is that they tend to be sticky. Barring the use of an aggressive adhesive, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  4. #14
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Ideas For Gasket Material .....

    The better foam's just sticky on the side it's supposed to be sticky on. I use 1/8" self adhesive foam under removable panels. Our commercial air handlers all use it for access doors and panels, and they routinely pass 3psi static pressure testing. Neoprene's good too, but pricey. I wouldn't count on felt to hold pressure.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  5. #15
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Ideas For Gasket Material .....

    Thanks for the comments. The self adhesive foam sounds the easiest to do. I'll see what is available retail.

    Cheers, Marshall.

  6. #16
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Ideas For Gasket Material .....

    Quote Originally Posted by bfish View Post
    I use 1/8" self adhesive foam under removable panels.
    Which brand/part #? Neoprene is (was?) ~universal down here for commercial installs, at least through '94, the last year I stayed current. Regardless, the foam tapes I've eyeballed at Home Depot, Lowe's and the one 3M foam insulation I used to seal the attic folding stairs didn't do all that well even after I rigged a crude clamping system.

    The high density felt I mentioned held the pressure generated at high SPL in the DIY Contrabass kits, though don't have a clue how much that is, just that it's many times what a reflex vent or typical sealed alignment 'feels', but the craft store or similar types don't look promising to me for effectively sealing any speaker app.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  7. #17
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Ideas For Gasket Material .....

    I'll look at the felt also. The gasket mounting surface is 1 5/8" wide.

    Marshall.

  8. #18
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Ideas For Gasket Material .....

    I think this will do the job.

    http://www.feltshop.com.au/product.asp?pID=34&cID

    The also have strips in a range of sizes.

  9. #19
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Ideas For Gasket Material .....

    I think you may be right. This is what I was looking for in a Google search.
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  10. #20
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Ideas For Gasket Material .....

    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Which brand/part #?

    GM
    No idea. it has no markings. It's leftover short rolls that come with McQuay, Trane, Carrier etc modular air handlers for use in section assembly. It looks just like the 1/8"x1-1/2" foam sold to apply to your truck bed to set a camper shell on.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.